Saturday, September 12, 2009

Black Bean Soup with Andouille Sausage

I went to our local farmer's market yesterday and was thrilled to find fresh organic andouille sausage. However, once I got home I wasn't exactly sure what to do with it. I had planned to remove it from the casing and add it to the burgers I was making for dinner, but alas, the sausage was pre-cooked. Thus, I decided to add it to one of my favorite soups and was thrilled with the outcome.

1 lb bag of black beans or 2 (15 oz) cans, drained
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes with jalepeno peppers
1/2 lb diced andouille sausage
1/2 C diced onion
1/2 C diced celery
1/2 C diced carrots
1/2 C diced bell peppers, a variety of colors
1 tsp ground cumin
2 bay leaves
juice of 1 lime
Salt and ground black pepper
1/4 C chopped fresh cilantro leaves

Bring 5 cups of water to a boil, add black beans and cook for 2 minutes. Remove pot from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour. After 1 hour, drain the beans.

In a slow cooker, combine beans, broth, tomatoes, sausage, onion, celery, carrots, peppers, cumin, bay leaves, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Mix well. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Add cilantro and lime juice.

Serve with a dollop of sour cream and sliced avocado.

1 comment: