Saturday, August 22, 2009

Michigan Cherries - Yum!


My family has vacationed in Michigan for as long as I can remember and each of my Michigan memories involves sweet, juicy summer fruits. Some of the best apples, peaches, blueberries and raspberries I have ever eaten were enjoyed on the walkway along the side of our cottage. It was until I was in college, however, that I discovered plump, tart, succulent dried Michigan cherries. They are my favorite "candy." As an adult no trip up North is complete without a stash of dried cherries to take home. Having just returned from my annual trip I have been savoring these candies, eating them by the handful and in some of my favorite dishes. Here's one of my more successful attempts at incorporating them in a meal.


Chicken Wrap with Blue Cheese, Dried Cherries and Walnuts

1 chicken breast, seasoned with salt and pepper
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
Salt and Pepper
2 Tbsp walnut pieces, chopped
2 Tbsp low fat blue cheese crumbles
3 Tbsp roughly chopped dried Michigan cherries
1 Tbsp Maple Grove Farms Strawberry Balsamic dressing
1/4 C baby spinach leaves, tightly packed
1 whole wheat tortilla

Place chicken breast in a grill pan and season with balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until juices run clear. Remove chicken to a cutting board to cool slightly.

Chop chicken breast into bite sized pieces and place in a bowl along with the walnuts, blue cheese crumbles, and cherries. Add dressing; toss to coat.

Arrange spinach leaves down center of tortilla and top with chicken mixture. Roll tortilla like a burrito and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment