Thursday, January 27, 2011

I scream, You scream, We all scream for ice cream!



My best friend and I just did our Christmas exchange last week (yes, we're a little late, but sometimes it's hard for busy ladies to coordinate schedules - especially around the holidays!); she surprised me with the Cuisinart Frozen Yogurt - Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker. What a treat! I have been wanting one for several years so I couldn't wait to get started. I immediately made a grocery list and started dreaming of which flavors to try, which one to try first, and how many I could have in the freezer at once - then I gained control over myself and decided to start with just one. Although my boyfriend wanted to start with classic vanilla, we already had a carton of Breyer's Vanilla Bean in the freezer. So, we decided to make coffee ice cream. We used a recipe that came with the ice cream maker and it turned out great! I served the ice cream with my favorite homemade brownies.

Coffee Ice Cream
1 C whole milk, well chilled
3/4 C granulated sugar
2 to 3 Tbsp instant espresso or coffee, to taste (I used 3 Tbsp)
2 C heavy cream, well chilled
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer or whisk to combine the milk, sugar, and espresso powder until the sugar and espresso are dissolved, about 1-2 minutes on low speed. Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla. Turn the ice cream maker on, pour the mixture into the freezer bowl and let mix until thickened, about 25-30 minutes.*

*Or follow the directions for your particular machine.

Please check out my best friend's blog for more delicious ice cream recipes.

3 comments: