Thursday, March 25, 2010

Shrimp n' Grits

I've been trying new recipes again, and I don't just mean new variations on old recipes, but rather things I've never made before. This was prompted in part by boredom with my recipe repertoire and in part by my attempt to be better about using ingredients I have on hand. I had a few less than stellar results, but I also had some great successes.

This recipe for Shrimp n' Grits was one of the more successful dishes I tried. It is adapted from a recipe in the current issue of Real Simple (Smoky Shrimp and Grits, pg. 267). I had some shrimp in the freezer, as well as the grits, cheese, and scallions that the original recipe called for. I also had pancetta, andouille sausage, and roasted red peppers, which I thought would add some extra zing to the dish - I was right! In fact, I suspect the dish would have been a little bland without the sausage. See what you think and feel free to add suggestions and other comments. Happy eating!

Shrimp n' Grits
1 lb. raw peeled, deveined medium or large shrimp
1 C grits
1 1/2 tsp garlic salt
1 C grated cheddar cheese
1/3 C diced pancetta
1 large roasted red pepper, diced
3 scallions, sliced

Cook grits according to package directions. Once water is absorbed, stir in the garlic salt and cheddar cheese.

While the grits are cooking, brown the pancetta in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook until it begins to brown. Add the shrimp and diced red peppers. Cook until the shrimp are opaque, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Stir in scallions.

Serve the shrimp mixture over the warm cheese grits.


No comments:

Post a Comment