Thursday, September 10, 2009

Veggie Soup


Here's yet another recipe from my aunt Michelle, maybe she needs to have a food blog! I love this recipe because I was able to make it with ingredients I had on hand from my vegetable and herb gardens. Also, whenever I have the opportunity I make and freeze chicken broth so I always have some available when I need it. Thus, I was able to make this soup without going to the grocery - gotta love that!

Soupe au Pistou

Soup
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 leeks (white & pale green parts only), thinly sliced
3 medium garlic cloves, minced
5 1/2 C chicken broth, or 1-48 oz can chicken broth
1- 15 1/2-19 oz can white or cannellini beans
6 small to medium Roma tomatos peeled and diced, or 1- 14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes
2 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and diced
1 medium squash, quartered lengthwise and diced
1 dried bay leaf
1 tsp fresh thyme, or 1/2 tsp dried
1/2 lb green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces (~1 1/2 C)

Warm oil in a stock pot over medium-high heat. Add leeks, cooking about 3 minutes, until softened, stirring. Add garlic, cook 30 seconds more, stirring. Season with salt and pepper.

Stir in next 7 ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, uncovered. Add green beans, simmer 6-8 minutes longer until tender. Serve with 1 Tbsp pesto in each bowl.


Pistou
Pistou = Pesto

2 c loosely packed fresh basil leaves
1/3 c pine nuts
2 medium cloves garlic, peeled
1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 c extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground salt and pepper

Place the basil, pine nuts, garlic, cheese, salt and pepper in the bowl of a food processor. With the motor running, slowly pour the oil through the tube. Stop the motor when you have a thick, slightly chunky paste.

No comments:

Post a Comment